Episcopal Church

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

 

 

It is reported that there were Episcopal Services in Sodus Point as early as 1818.  Maria Chew Fitzhugh, widow of Colonel Peregrine Fitzhugh, gave a  lot on the west side of Troup Park and Bay Street and $100.00 for an Episcopal Church requesting that its consecration should not take place before another church was built in the village, so that it might be free for preaching to any Christian minister when not in use by the parish.  Accordingly, after the Methodist Church was erected it was consecrated as Christ Church by Bishop Cox.  The church was organized May 3, 1851 and recorded in the county clerk’s office in 1860.  A window was erected to the memory of Colonel and Mrs. Fitzhugh by their grandson Colonel Charles G. Edwards who also gave one in memory of his parents William and Maria Fitzhugh Edwards

 The above information came from the 1974 Walking Tour of Sodus Point

 

 

 

In May 2011, an amazing and awe inspiring discovery was made concerning the  Cross on the steeple of the Episcopal Church and the recently placed murals on the firehall across the parking lot. To read about this click on the link below:

http://www.historicsoduspoint.com/blessing-of-the-murals/