Silver Waters Bed and Breakfast is located at 8420 Bay Street in Sodus
The Battle for Sodus Point was fought here where our Inn now stands, in June of 1813.
During the underground railroad, slaves from the safehouse at Alasia Farm, were rowed across Sodus Bay at night, from the marshes west of emerald Point. A tunnel came into our kitchen before recent renovations closed it over, from the embankment to our south, on the Sill property. The tunnel then went north from here down the east side of John Street, to the large house with the stone pillars, where the tunnel once again entered into the basement of that property. From there, slaves were taken by boats to ships traveling to Canada.
Spirits of past residence have been seen here at our Inn. In the 3 years of our ownership, 3 children and 3 adult spirits have been encountered. Orbs have also been seen regularly moving about, especially in the evenings. Some of the spirits are believed to be those of former owners who are buried in the small graveyard on Wickham Street.
Our Inn was built in 1835 after it was destroyed during the battle of Sodus Point. General Williamson later stayed here with his horse fully tacked, and at the ready in case of needed duties in the area. Our Inn was a tavern as well as a hotel for travelers coming to the Village of Sodus Point.
Photo and writeup submitted by:
Mike Novik – Innkeeper at Silver Waters Bed and Breakfast
Three poems were written about this house and its involvement in the Underground Railroad. To read them please click on this link: http://www.historicsoduspoint.com/slaves-in-sodus-point/underground-railroad-poems/
For further information on Silver Waters Bed and Breakfast please click on the link below: