Artwork by James Zeger
This mural is located inside Captain Jack’s Good Time Tavern in the entrance way to their banquet room. Captain Jack’s is located at 8505 Greig Street in Sodus Point, NY. The restaurant is on the north side of the street.
The attached plaque reads:
This mural depicts the Steamboat era of Sodus Bay. By the late 19th century, fleets of luxurious passenger steamers plied the waters of the Great Lakes. This shows the Sodus Bay Outer pier light and a ferry steamboat named “Arundell” that came into Sodus Bay as late as the 1930′s.
In 1870, the Sodus Bay Outer pier light was constructed at the end of the pier. Due to cost, the United States Lighthouse Service decommissioned the stone Sodus Bay Lighthouse light in 1901 when the wooden, outer pier light was improved by adding 15 feet to the tower height and giving it a visibility range of 14 miles. The steel catwalk was built to provide keepers access to the service beacon