- Spent four summer vacations in Sodus Point
- A prolific writer, he was best known for his articles in the Sunday paper on history and folklore of the Genesee Valley and the Finger Lakes. Sometimes called the “Poet Laureate of Upstate New York”.
- In 1939, he began writing the first of an eventual 1,650 stories and columns for the Sunday Democrat and Chronicle, primarily chronicling the history of Rochester and environs.
- These articles were collected and expanded to form Merrill’s long string of non-fiction books. After retiring in 1963, he continued to write his column, “Arch Merrill’s History”, for 10 more years.
- Wrote about the history of Sodus Bay and his experiences there in his book: The Ridge Ontario’s Blossom Country http://mcnygenealogy.com/book/the-ridge-1.htm
For more information on Arch Merrill, please click on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Merrill